Monday, December 27, 2010

An Animated Film of a Ray Bradbury Classic

This an animated film version of the Ray Bradbury short story There Will Come Soft Rains created by Peter Cotter and posted on Vimeo. The story features a poem of the same title by Sara Teasdale, which was published in a collection called Flame and Shadow. Wikisource has the poem here and the collection here. She wrote a number of dark poems, including this:

I Shall Not Care

WHEN I am dead and over me bright April
Shakes out her rain-drenched hair,
Tho' you should lean above me broken-hearted,
I shall not care.

I shall have peace, as leafy trees are peaceful
When rain bends down the bough,
And I shall be more silent and cold-hearted
Than you are now.

What's fascinating to me is that though Teasdale published "There Will Come Soft Rains" in 1920, it feels like it was written in the shadow of nuclear war. She was living in an America that had just come out of World War I, and the death and destruction was terrible of course. But the technology was not yet an actual threat to our survival. Ray Bradbury's story was published about five years after the Hiroshima bombing.

You can read Bradbury's story here. Evidently an English teacher named Jerry Brown in Round Rock, TX has put it on his website. And I also found an animated version of "There Will Fall Soft Rains" produced in the Soviet Union in the mid-1980's. It contains some nice, chilling images. Um, enjoy it?


There will fall soft rains
Uploaded by DublinBen. - Check out other Film & TV videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails