Saturday, March 5, 2011

Jesus Wants Us To Keep The Money


I know you're afraid. You are concerned, and you want to do the right thing, all of you. I agree. But let's remember Joshua and Caleb from Numbers, and see this situation with the eyes of faith:

We came to this beach house on our third annual Pastor Mike Prayer Warrior Retreat to enjoy God's beauty and talk about the future of our church. All of you want to help me and Kailynn build up this worship center until it is a beacon to people across the mid-Atlantic region. We want to nourish people in the spirit. At sunset we read John 10:10 and talked about God's abundance, and then we claimed $5 million in building funds for a new outreach center. And what happened this morning on our prayer walk? We found three large duffel bags filled with newly-minted hundred dollar bills. None of them have any tags or markings on them. They're just lying there in the surf, like they're waiting for us.

I don't know how they got here either. I really don't, Tom. But I do know that my God is a mighty God, and he wants me to spread His Gospel. I know we can use this money to save people. I understand you're worried, because there's a wrecked cigarette boat on that sand bar 200 yards away, and it appears that someone has died in it. But that doesn't mean this money is connected to it at all. Can you prove beyond a doubt that it is? Can you prove that this is not the miracle that we've been asking God to provide?

The easy solution is to just hand over this money to the homicide detectives, tell them everything we know, and just be on our way. That would make us all feel comfortable, right? We'd be certain that no one on earth -- no earthly law or authority -- would get us into trouble. But what did Paul say about the mind set in the flesh? When we worry too much about earthly authority, we forget Who is really in charge. Don't we?

Tom, I know you want to do the right thing. Kailynn is a lawyer, and we have her word as my wife and as a Christian that she will contact the police for us. I know you're worried -- just like when we talked last spring about that crisis you were having, and we worked it out together, because we had faith. That's what I'm asking you to have. Faith. Don't be like the servant who buried his talents in the ground, because he was afraid of the consequences. God is giving us a test here with these duffel bags full of money. He wants us to prove that we can remember that He is above all earthly authority, whether it's the local police... or even if it's federal agencies that might get involved. He's in charge, and I can feel that he wants us to use this money for His glory. Not the glory of some North Carolina district attorney's office. But His alone.

Now, let's say a quick prayer and then get these bags out of the water. Kailynn, honey, could you go get the Escalade?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails