Monday, January 9, 2012

Half Of You Are Fired, But ALL Of You Get A Teamwork Prize

It's a bittersweet time, here at SG Comtrex. I feel like we've accomplished great things. And the fact that we're not all going forward together into the new quarter is very, very sad. But I have wonderful news. This is not something we've ever done before; it's completely unprecedented in our company's history, but you people have earned it. This year we're awarding the SGC Teamwork Prize to the entire department. Half of you should vacate the property within the next 30 minutes, but every one of you knows what dedication is all about.

The Prize normally comes with a $10 gift card to Applebee's. But I want to recognize our departing friends, so I went to Georgia in Accounting, and I demanded she make a change. This year you have a choice of either the restaurant card... or a $10 card for FedEx/Kinkos. I know some of you will be updating your resumes soon, and I wanted to help. Don't thank me, please. You deserve it.

Not many know how to work together to accomplish a goal. How to apply yourself -- sacrificing your nights and weekends to bring a project into port on time and under budget. And yes, that doesn't always mean that the budget will be big enough to support your salary, going forward. But your effort is appreciated. That's what it means to receive the certificate you'll get when you turn in your door card and sign our nondisclosure paper. It means you've made a difference.

I know Jerry wants to congratulate you as well, so I'll keep this short. You should meet with him to go over the termination agreement that addresses any concerns you may have. But he also wants to shake your hand and wish you well.

It will be a long time, before I see a group like you again. Especially since I'm moving upstairs to my new post. I care about you, and I want to keep in touch. Please give Jerry your email and current address when you sign the agreement. And don't be afraid to drop me a line, when you find yourself in a new position, tackling new challenges! I'd love to hear from you. Don't come to the office in person without clearing it with security first. But an email would be great.

Good luck to you. I know people like you will do just fine.

Okay, let's get those laptops back to the company and clean up the break room. We have twenty more minutes. Could the rest of you stay a little late? Things are going to be tough this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails