Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I'm Glad President Obama Usually Respects Human Life

I'm a progressive, so I voted for Barack Obama. I support him. I don't always agree with the guy, but I think he's doing a pretty good job. He usually respects human life. I mean, he doesn't seem to be the type who'd ordinarily want to kill a large number of people with an awful fleet of flying death robots.

That Paul Ryan frightened me. During the last campaign, he was entirely too eager to use military force. I thought he and Romney would implement an aggressive foreign policy - we'd be launching military strikes all over the world, with who knows what consequences? I guess I'm just more comfortable with the number of targeted killings President Obama wants right now. That's what it is. I think what I support is the current number of missile strikes that incinerate people on the other side of the world.

He was my choice for president. You have to pick one of them.

The two parties are not equal. That's simply not true. Obama's Republican predecessor opened a string of CIA black sites across the world, where our intelligence operators tortured people. He invaded Iraq and allowed the mission in Afghanistan to turn into a quagmire. Obama's done a great job reversing these things. Most of them, anyway. A good number. And I'm sure he's trying to have as few people as possible shot in the face or hit by a powerful warhead under shadowy, quasi-legal circumstances.

I won't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I voted for this president, because I knew he'd put more controls on our global drone strikes and covert operations. He allowed rendition to continue, but there's some oversight, and it's probably enough. And we're working on getting a playbook with some rules on whose life we can unofficially end. It doesn't include everything; our military console operators sitting in air conditioned rooms thousands of miles away can still launch what's called a "signature strike," in which the victim's identity isn't even known. But you can't have everything.

Baby steps.

I'm positive that this president is a good man, and he's doing what he can. And I'm positive that the people who actually kill our enemies, and those who look like our enemies, and occasionally anyone standing adjacent to our enemies, including children... I'm sure they are good too. They're all trying to minimize the horror and tragedy we deal out on a daily basis to people we barely know in situations we barely understand. I mean, I'm a good person, and I voted for this administration.

Yes. This, I guess, is the best we can do.

Right?

2 comments:

  1. Ah the sarcastic cognitive dissonance slant.... Like it Mr. Bibeau. Care to wager how many people will only read what they think you are saying, like their confirmation bias... you know the anus part of our mind's reasoning body... somewhat isn't fouling up the view?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh God. Yes, you're right, and every time I write something like this I always have to steel myself. But being misunderstood is good for the soul. Thanks for reading, Morgan!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails