Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Did You Know Greece Owes 1/6th Of An Iraq Invasion?

We're all hoping that the nation of Greece gets through this crisis without too much suffering, but one thing is clear: They've mismanaged their finances on a grand scale. They've blown a truly mind-bending amount of money.

Did you know that Greece actually owes 1/6th the cost of an Iraq invasion?

Let that sink in for a second.

According to George Will Greece is a "reminder that reality does not respect a democracy's delusions." And he's right: The amount of money that Greece let slip through its fingers is actually one half of one third of the amount it took to invade Iraq on the pretext of finding WMDs.

How could they just light fire to that kind of cash?
Why aren't the people responsible in prison?
Don't they know they've shredded their credibility with the entire world?

If I came from a country that had made that kind of money disappear - the kind of money you could use for a halfway decent down payment on a failed nation-building experiment - I'd be ashamed of myself. God, I'd think, my country really, really needs to get its act together.

I don't mean to sound harsh. But when you let go of that much wealth - just lose it, as if you'd completely failed at whatever project you were spending it on - if you screw up that monumentally, you kind of forfeit the right to be taken seriously ever again.

People look at you - if you're the kind of person who loses 1/6 of what it cost to kill thousands of your troops, smash the government of Iraq, and turn it into an anarchic no man's land of sectarian murder - with contempt. Whether you admit it or not, it's time to question your fundamental worth as a country.

A nation like that needs to do everything, and I mean everything, differently from now on. What would it say about them if they didn't? What if they lost that kind of capital and just acted as if nothing happened?

I don't like to think about it.

THE BLACK BOOK OF CHILDREN'S BIBLE STORIES is about faith and loss, and a haunted house hidden so well you didn't notice you'd been living there your whole life. BUY IT HERE.

2 comments:

  1. For whatever it's worth, I am not praying for your painful death, nor am I praying for your immediate death (but I clicked the box, I did). To actually like, respond with words, I can agree somewhat on the basic substance, but "you dun fucked up Greece" is kind of...a pointless thing to say at this juncture, right?

    Banks are in actual danger, unemployment is in the stratosphere (especially for the youth, and isn't that just a worrying statistical blip) and nobody can hide the fact that for a very long time Grecian governments were highly fiscally irresponsible, and now Consequences are happening. That's known, we all know that. I mean like, the US spent 178% of an Iraq between Iraq and Afghanistan and we can all see how well that's done us for. At least there's an argument about what kind of change needs to happen with Greece, you know?

    So like, since this is at lea--wait a minute I missed the point didn't I?


    Fuck.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails