Wednesday, October 21, 2015

My Novel's About A Futuristic World Where Americans Believe In Science

I've decided to try my hand at sci fi, and I'm a few chapters into my latest novel. It's really fun to write! I've created a bizarre techno-utopia in the far future where Americans believe in science. I know, I know. Doesn't that blow your mind?

In "Arcturus Prime" - the name of the world now - we have regular contact with alien civilizations, androids with human personalities, and textbooks that teach evolution. Even in Texas.

My hero Prete Wilkerful, suffered a near fatal accident when the space probe he was piloting crashed into a satellite. The orbit around Arcturus Prime is much more crowded, because we fully fund NASA instead of throwing all our money into megachurches and the military. Anyway, doctors turned him into a cyborg, and now he works for the CDC investigating viral outbreaks so we can create new vaccines, because everyone just gets their vaccines now instead of believing urban legends about them.

His love interest - Darla 5 - is a sophisticated Artificial Intelligence who can appear almost anywhere at will. She serves on an extreme weather event strike force which combats freak disasters. She often works with local authorities to help people, and the general public accepts that what we know about climate science is true without rejecting it because of some rightwing oil lobbyists.

I don't want to give too much away, but the book has starfighters, laser battles, teleportation, and people who know that dinosaurs didn't live in the time of Adam and Eve. The characters fight an insidious synthetic disease that actually has a will and a personality, and no one asks their personal angel for help or anything like that.

Okay, I have to get back to work. But before I go I want you to know I have an idea for a sequel! It's going to be even further in the future - not centuries, but millennia - and human beings all live as disembodied entities in a kind of virtual computer world where they can create their own realities, and cops are slightly less racist.

4 comments:

  1. Tsk, tsk. Much too far-fetched.

    Not the part about how people will stop believing in all the stupid shit they believe in now, mind you. That will almost definitely happen. I have considerable optimism that I will one day live in a world where almost all of the stupid shit people believe in now is so thoroughly discredited that people try their hardest to forget they ever believed in it.

    But unless you postulate some sort of cybernetic hive mind that allows people to be constantly aware of every changing circumstance in the entire world, along with analytical software that can continuously process that data and present the most probable conclusions based on it - which is, by all means, not outside of the bounds of science fiction - then you are going to have to consider an important question: what new stupid shit will people have found to believe in and consider completely natural? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a believer. Until that final clause.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails